06 May 2013

Sourdough Is Back On The Menu!

I put my sourdough culture into deep freeze in January, whilst we went on holiday to East Cape. I restarted the culture about a three weeks ago and baked a few pizzas with it last week. It was time to bake some bread.

Yesterday, I mixed up a batch of Tartine sourdough, formed two boules, and left them to retard in the fridge overnight. This morning, I baked off the boules. The weather was a bit rough last night and I was not sure we would still have power in the morning, but the power stayed on and I was able to bake two boules early this morning without interruption.

Fresh from the oven. Quick, grab a bread knife!

There's nothing quite like the hot, steamy, almost custardy texture of a slice of home made sourdough bread fresh out of the oven. It needs no adornment; but, if you must, a slathering of Lewis Road Creamery Premium New Zealand Butter goes down a treat!

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing baking as always, Stephen.

We buy our bread from a local baker and it is devine.

--Gnome

5/06/2013 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home