09 October 2012

Pizza: Salami e Olive

I mixed up a double batch of sourdough on Sunday, one batch for boules and one for pizza. Bulk fermentation at room temperature (17C) for both bread and pizza dough. Both pizza dough and bread dough were turned every 30 minutes for 2 hours. After two hours I put the pizza dough in the fridge for long cold ferment.

On Monday I divided the dough into 6 portions of 325g. Monday evening I made three pizzas and reserved three portions for additional cold fermentation.

Pizza dough was pulled from the fridge, folded, shaped, bench rested for 15 minutes. The oven was pre-heated on high for one hour and switched to broil just before I put in the pizza.

The crust was browning before the dough cooked through, so I modified the cooking. I let the pizza bake under the broiler for about 4 minutes, then switched the oven back to bake until the pizza was finished. This allows for a longer cooking time of about 7 to 7.5 minutes to give enough time to bake off the crust.

The bread dough was turned two more times, at 1h15m intervals, then divided, bench rested, and shaped. After shaping, dough was placed in banneton and retarded in the fridge until I baked it Monday morning.

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pizza looks incredibly delicous!

Well done!

Be well,
Gnome

10/09/2012 10:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, Gnome. Some of my best pizzas yet. The sourdough crust has great flavour and I am finally getting the oven spring I've been after. Next thing to work on is getting some colour on the crust (bottom). I'm currently using a stack of two thick terracotta tiles (each tile is about 1" thick) in my home oven. My home oven holds a temp around 280C (~530F), too low a temperature to get good browning of the crust from the terracotta. I don't yet have an infra-red thermometer, but I am reasonably sure the surface of the terracotta maintains a temp at or below 260C (500F). The low surface temperature combined with the low heat transfer of the stone results in little to no browning of the crust.

I would like to investigate a material with a higher heat transfer, such as steel or iron. There is a steel company in the US that currently produces 1/4" - 1/2" A36 steel (food grade): http://stoughtonsteel.com/shop/baking-steel/

10/09/2012 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home