09 August 2012

Buns & Burgers

Morgan and I walked around the volcano the other day and we passed a paddock with cows and their newborn calves.

I got to thinking about beef and was inspired to bake another batch of light brioche hamburger buns.

Last year we had a pretty good crop of jalapeños. We ate our fill and there were still plenty left, so I picked the remainder, fire roasted them, and stuck them in the freezer. They freeze well and it's very easy to pull a few out of the freezer when you want them and pop them in a hot oven for a few minutes to defrost. I sliced a couple and topped the burgers with them.

I like to keep my burgers simple. This burger had mayonnaise, red onions, cheddar cheese, jalapeños.

I like my burgers coarse ground and medium rare - warm enough to melt the fat in the grind and create a juicy burger.

Not too bad. I would prefer the cheese to be a bit more melted, so next time I'll leave them under the broiler for a longer time. I chose an aged cheddar (Vintage), which is a good sharp cheese, but it ended up overpowering the jalapeños. I may try a more mild flavoured cheese with good melting qualities next time. Havarti, perhaps? The light brioche buns are good and can handle the burger juice just fine without being chewy.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home