12 September 2006

The Sky Is Falling!

At 2:55 p.m. this afternoon a meteor entered the atmosphere just over Christchurch, streaked through the sky in a blaze of fire and broke into a couple of smaller pieces before it disappeared. The event created a massive sonic boom that shook many buildings. Folks thought the buildings they were in were breaking apart! The massive sonic booms were recorded by seismographs operated by Geonet.

Of course, during this time I must have been rocking out to Led Zeppelin's Cashmere in the car driving back home from The New World grocery store, because I completely missed it. Oh well, such is life.

"An extraordinary boom did sound/
As this meteor was Christchurch bound."

27/10/2006 Correction: The name of the last track of Led Zeppilin's Physical Graffiti is in fact Kashmir and not Cashmere. Cashmere is a suburb of Christchurch located on the south side of Christchurch, at the foot of the Port Hills, which, coincidentally, according to The Reed Dictionary of New Zealand Place Names was named by Sir John Cracoft Wilson who purchased land at the foot of the Port Hills and named this land after Cashmere in India (Reed notes Cashmere was an alternative spelling of Kashmere in the nineteenth century.)
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now write 100 times....

Cashmere is just up the road, Kashmir is the last track on side two of Physical Graffiti

10/27/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

From the Reed Dictionary of New Zealand Place Names:

"Cashmere was an alternative spelling of Kashmir in the nineteenth century."

However, I do realize the Led Zeppelin song was named in the twentieth century (:

Alright, so I did not actually grow up listening to Led Zeppelin when they first released Physical Graffiti. I was only 4 years old when the album was released in 1975. I guess I should have done a bit more background research...

10/27/2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger SeekerRich said...

I missed this entry the first time around. I must have been busy with something else. I've never heard of a meteoroid causing a sonic boom, but it makes perfect sense, if it's big enough. I wish I could have experienced it.

11/05/2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

caverrich: Well, I don't know if we will ever know for sure what made the fireball and sonic boom - perhaps it was a piece of man made space junk falling back to Earth? Folks here tried to pinpoint where it fell and within a couple of days some women said she found "something" lying in one of her sheep paddocks. She took it to the authorities who were trying to figure out what it was. I am not sure what the results were.

11/09/2006 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home