07 May 2006

The absence of the familiar

I guess I am a creature of habit too. After all, I've lived at the same address for almost 10 years now, the longest I've ever lived everywhere. My head still can't get itself around the fact that, no, this is not a temporary arrangement. What makes it harder, I have decided, is the lack of familiar objects to make it feel like home. Everything is new, including our home furnishings. So, besides the practicality of getting our stuff, there is also a desire to re-establish that feeling of "home" that is definitively lacking: familiar pictures, books, knickknacks, the chime of my ship's clock... From past experience, I know it'll take over a year before I'll really feel "home", and about 5-6 years before I'll really feel "plugged in". We've got a ways to go.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger SeekerRich said...

I know what you mean about a new place. After college I took a job with the Geodetic Survey outfit in Wyoming. I loaded up my backpack, daypack, and a briefcase, and left everything else behind. I carried everything I thought I needed in one shot. In time, I got my bike out there, some books, and some other clothes, but what I couldn't take was that feeling of being at home. After three years I could tell that the feeling of "home" wasn't going to happen out there and at the end of four years I quit my job and moved on. You never know what a place is going to do to you, but you've got to try at least.

5/08/2006 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt and I sent all of our dive gear (and some other stuff) to Singapore--"6 weeks" claimed the P.O. in La Crescenta. After 13 weeks when it had not arrived (and we really needed it), Matt's dad called the P.O. and found out it had taken 5 1/2 weeks just to get to the port (1 hour away). We really needed our gear for the Philippines, and amazingly enough, it arrived in Singapore the day before we flew to the Philippines! Nancy

5/09/2006 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home