30 March 2006

Cool coins from The Cook Islands

I found some coins that I saved from our trip to Rarotonga, The Cook Islands, February 2006. These coins are so interesting, I thought I would share them with you. The figure on the $1.00 coin is the Maori god of fertility, Tangaroa (which is fairly obvious). According to the islanders, the triangular shaped $2.00 coin is the only triagular shaped coin in the world. I don't know how true that claim is; however, these are some of the most interesting coins I have come across. The $5.00 coin is a special edition issued in 2003, and not many are seen day to day. It is interseting to note that on all coins, the head figure is that of Queen Elizabeth II.
Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger SeekerRich said...

I believe you are correct about the tringular coins. I think the main reason is that the laundromat managers around the world really raise heck about the coins jamming their machines.

4/01/2006 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home